Monday, May 28, 2007

Miss Malaysia 2007 still can’t believe it

KUALA LUMPUR: Deborah Priya Henry is set to dazzle the judges at the Miss World competition with not only her beauty but also her brains. The newly crowned Miss Malaysia/World 2007 hopes to be the belle of the pageant in Poland this October.

The full-time model, who was born in Dublin 21 years ago, has a degree in political science and economics from the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia. She aims to promote Malaysia’s multi-ethnicity at the international pageant. "Malaysia is my country. This is where my heart is and I hope to put Malaysia’s name on the world map," she told the New Sunday Times yesterday.

Deborah also hopes to help impoverished nations through her involvement with World Vision, the international humanitarian aid organisation which is the beneficiary of this year’s pageant. The former Sayfol International School student is still in shock over winning the Miss Malaysia/World crown on Friday. "At the moment, it is still very surreal. I can’t believe that I have won.

"But one thing is for sure, I am very excited about the future," said Deborah, who is of Indian and Irish parentage. She said it was great to be named "Miss Malaysia" and she was happy to join the ranks of previous winners. "I have many friends who are former Miss Malaysia, like Elaine Daly, and now it feels like I belong to the club. I also feel proud to be representing Malaysia."

Deborah is also no stranger to the modelling world. "I have been modelling since I was 15. I also modelled in London in 2003 for seven months, " she said. On her future plans, Deborah said she hoped to enter the field of journalism and would love to host documentaries. "But right now, all I want to do is concentrate on the pageant."


Source : The New Straits Times

No comments:

Google