Sunday, August 12, 2007

‘I want apology from NBC’

PENANG: A gynaecologist here is demanding an apology from NBC over a documentary in which he was portrayed as a bad guy and has thus damaged his reputation. Dr Ng Kok Kwang, 45, said he wanted to clear his name as the documentary linked him to an alleged human trafficking case involving a Filipina, Lannie Erecito, 22.

Dr Ng: ‘I did not commit any wrongdoing’He said NBC's Dateline had affected his reputation and he demanded an apology, failing which legal action would be taken against the station.
“I did not commit any wrongdoing and I was very cooperative and helpful to the police and the TV crew when they came to interview me late last year.

“I was shocked when my friends in the United States and patients here called me to tell me about the damaging report.

“I watched the documentary and found that a lot of things that I told them had been censored, leaving only the damaging part,” he said in his clinic at Burmah Road here yesterday.

The case came to light when Erecito 's uncle, Troop Edmonds, a former marine, and a friend, Jerry Howe – said to be a retired FBI agent – decided to mount a “rescue” operation by coming here sometime last year following a phone call from her.

Erecito is said to have returned home to the Philippines with the two men. However, The Star, quoting sources, reported yesterday that there was no evidence to show that the Filipino singer had been held against her will while she was in Penang. Dr Ng, who has been a gynaecologist for 11 years, said he brought Erecito to Penang to sing at one of the hotels last October but she wanted to quit a month later.

“I told her that she owed me and my business partner Kenny Kang about US$1,200 (RM4,100) for the expenses we spent to bring her to Penang. Lannie was among 16 Filipino singers whom we brought to Penang to sing at hotels.

“They were paid RM700 monthly as promised in the contract, provided free food, accommodation and transportation and equipment to practice. “Lannie agreed to pay and told me that she would call her auntie, who is Edmonds' wife, in the United States. However, she disappeared after that without paying us the money.

“Sometime late last year, the police asked me to go to the police station where I met Lannie, her uncle, his friend and the TV crew,” he said. Dr Ng added that it was then that he knew about the allegation and gave his statement to the police, complete with proof like bills and tickets.

Source : The Star

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I know why this O&G was running a side business. It is because he is competing with the best and internationally recognized O&G doctors in Tanjung Medical Centre, Penang. You can refer to this site (http://www.tanjungmedical.com.my/webpages/consultants.html) for all the info. you want. Of all the O&G doctors at this medical centre, he is the only one that has qualifications that are not recognized in Singapore. I doubt Singapore Government recognizes MOG(UKM) even though Singapore has just recognized MD(UKM). MBBS (Mangalore) definitely is not on the list of recognized medical schools of the Singapore Government.

You have doctor of this quality is something to be expected as we have recognized too many medical schools. The main criterion for recognition is not the curriculum or the quality of these medical schools/their faculties but the trade off such as accepting the number of "Government" sponsored students. This is what we call "you reap what you sow". I believe Penang has the highest Chinese(India trained) doctors. Unfortunately, these doctors attended Indian medical schools that are not even recognized by one of the most efficient governments i.e. Singapore.

Google