Monday, September 3, 2007

Never too old to learn

THE pursuit of knowledge knows no boundaries, and Muar-born Jamalodin Rustam proved the point when he obtained a certificate in Post-Basic Haemodialysis at 60.The course by the National Kidney Foundation of Malaysia covers end-stage kidney failure.
“I am happy and grateful to receive the certificate on the eve of Malaysia’s 50th Merdeka celebration,” said Jamalodin on Thursday.
“Graduating is my way of celebrating this auspicious moment.” The course was conducted from May to August by four NKFM tutors and a panel of nephrologists from government and private hospitals.“I’ve found new confidence in knowing that I’ve pursued my dreams. I couldn’t further my studies in my younger years, as I was too busy working,” said the father of four.
Jamalodin had worked as a medical assistant at the Armed Forces Hospital in Terendak Camp, Malacca, for 21 years.He then moved to military training at the camp from 1981 to 1986, before leaving the army in 1987 and joining the Malaysian Red Crescent Society branch in Pulau Bidong, Terengganu, as its medical officer.In 1992, Jamalodin took up a job as medical assistant at a KTM Berhad clinic in Ipoh. From 1997 to 2005 he served Fomema as a medical assistant.
“When my wife found out that I wanted to take up the course, she was shocked,” he said.“She thought that I wouldn’t be able to handle it at my age. However, my daughters, sons and son-in-law supported me.”As Jamalodin has achieved his goal, he encourages elderly people to take up further studies.
“There’s no shame in pursuing knowledge to better yourself.”Why did Jamalodin choose the course in the first place?“I’ve seen many kidney patients suffering. I want to teach them how to care for their kidneys.”Jamalodin said that the course was not easy for him initially. “In the first two months, I found the learning process difficult, but I managed to adapt and catch on.
“My classmates were supportive and respected me for the effort I put into my studies despite my age.” —
The Malay Mail

No comments:

Google